Located in the old historical Jakarta Kota region, Taman Fatahillah sq offers 3 of the town’s most interesting museums. After the core of the colonial administration from the eighteenth century the square got a significant restoration in the 1970’s. A fountain in the center of sq once as the most important water source for the former colonial capital. The Portuguese cannon on the north side of the sq is allegedly an impressive font of fertility. Jakarta History Museum would be the one demonstrating the history of the evolution of the Town of Jakarta, both the events and the neighborhood, from the prehistory until these presents days.
This museum is situated at a building of cultural land that in the past known as Stadhuis, the City Hall of Batavia. As composed on the inscription of the museum’s collection, the building was built in 1707 by the city authorities of Batavia throughout the period of VOC and Governor General Abraham van Riebeeck inaugurated it in 1710. This building is situated in front of a playground, which in the past was known as Stadhuisplein, the City Hall Park, and it’s called Taman Fatahillah. Since 1970, the environment of Taman Fatahillah were announced as Cultural Property and it was completely preserved.
This endeavor was the start of the growth of the historical field of the Town of Jakarta, carried out by the Government of DKI Jakarta. The Museum of History of Jakarta was inaugurated on 30 March 1974 for being the centre for collection, conservation and research for all sorts of objects of cultural property related to the history of the Town of Jakarta and at the same time becomes a centre for education, study and recreation for the area. Because the very long path of the history of Jakarta, the collection of the Museum are diverse in form and consists of objects being the legacy of the prehistoric period till the beginning of the twentieth century.
There is another replicas of the Tugu Inscription from the Time of Great King Purnawarman, forming proof that centre of the Kingdom of Tarumanegara was situated in around the seaport of Tanjung Priok. Further, a map of the sixteenth century along with the replica of the Padrao monument of the Portuguese represents the historic evidence of the era of Sunda Kelapa Harbor. The period of Jayakarta is the start of the institution of the city’s bronze cannon and thru drawings and maps of the 17th century. Furniture collection of Betawi style from the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth century is the richest collection and belongs to the most complete one in the world. The community of Batavia City with because the association reflects Batavia City Community with different cultural components from Europe, notably Dutch, China, India and Indonesia.